A liaison officer is a person that liaises between two organizations to communicate and coordinate their activities by serving as an official go-between for senior officials of both organizations. The liaison officer is also expected to be active in the liaison organization and attends their key meetings. Liaison officers work in the public and private sector and are often employed by educational institutions, governments, law enforcement, militaries and large organizations.
- acting as contact points for all agency or organizational personnel;
- keeping lists of the agencies or personnel representing the person, agency or organization;
- facilitating meetings and cooperation among people, agencies and organizations;
- identifying problems in communications among these groups;
- collaborating and communicating with necessary constituents and the public; and
- conducting post-mortems when an incident is wrapped up.